Saturday, February 20, 2010

My view of studying in America

I arrived in the United States for 48 days, and now, I am a student who study in the St. louis university for 41 days. I have strong feelings about the culture diversity between America and China. There are some aspects can appear this differences.
First, there are big differences in education. In China, students study in school, they should call teacher, they can not call teachers; name, because they think it is impolite. But in America, students can call teachers' name, they think that is a way for teachers and students to become friends. Yeah~! I agree with that, because when we call teachers'name, we won't get nervous and serious. Then I think In China, if teachers make mistakes in the classroom, students can not point out the mistakes directly, it's also view as impolite, but in the United States, no, students can do that, they think people always make mistakes,and make mistakes can help people make progresses. Here, kids study in kindergarden, they can not study acdamic knowledge, they think kindergarden is a place that let kids have fun. I think it is not a good way to teach kids. In China, kindergarden is let kids study and have fun.Comparing kids in two different countries, In America, children have higher hand-making skills than Chinese kids, however, Chinese kids have higher calculation skills than American kids. This is quite difference.
Second, I think although in China, there is a small part of immigrants, America is a country that set up by immigrants, people from Europe is occupied the higher percentage here.
Third, I think is different beliefs, many people are protestants, and there are also some parts of people they belief Moslism. In China, many people belief Buddhism, and parts of people are belief Moslism and Jesuit. Because they belief different beliefs, they are influenced by these. Such as habitats.
Fourth, I think are different values such as individual freedom and self-reliance. In China, when kids grow up at the age of 18, they still live with parents, they spend parents' money, and depend on them such as me. I still do that.But here, when you get 18 years old, you should live by yourselves. So students here all have more strong skills and abilities than Chinese kids.
Fifth, I think is different technology, everybody knows that America has strong technique in science, so they become a developed country.But China is still a developing country. Because when I come here, there are many novelty things that I never seen in China, (or maybe it has, just I never seen it.)
To sum up, Tell the truth, I think although they have big differences, I am happniess and lucky that I study in America.

4 comments:

  1. Your opinions are resonable~!!!So I agree with you ~!!!We need to learn from American cultures~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're learning a lot about American culture. Each culture has its own wealth. You're rigth,it helps to confront your country's reality. I hope everything you find in this culture help your personal growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!your analysis is so specific.you even have compared all the aspects that i know about the difference between chineses study and american study! you've perfected it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, in America we tend to have a more informal relationship with our teachers, but you should remember: when you start your academic classes, most of your professers should be called, "Dr.__________" or "Professor". But even your future professors will tend to have a more relaxed relationship with their students.

    ReplyDelete